Wednesday 22 January 2014

• Best kept budget beauty secrets •

I've been trying to take care of the way I look since about the age of 12/13, whether that means taming my frizzy hair, keeping my spots at bay and attempting to look more awake. A few little tips and tricks have helped me in my quest to look healthy and glowy, and I thought it was my duty to share these with all of you!

Hairdrying my cream products
As strange as it may seem, you'll often find me hairdrying my cream products - this includes cream blushes, eyeliners and sometimes even lipsticks (when I'm using a lip-brush with a bold colour). I just find it makes the products go on so much nicer, and in the case of the eyeliner, I find that I'm not tugging so much at my eye. I only hairdry the product for 10-15 seconds but it does make such a difference. Especially in this cold weather, cream products (blush in particular) isn't as creamy as it would be in the warmer months, so this just warms up the product and transforms it into a really creamy consistency. PS. how many times can I say creamy in one sentence? Really need to work on my vocab...

Vaseline for eye cream
Currently £1.99 from Boots, click here to be directed to the site.
A bit of an odd one, I started using Vaseline as an eye cream when I was about 16. I find that it conditions my lashes, makes my eyes less puffy in the morning and moisturises my under-eyes so concealer is a dream to apply. Now I know there's some controversy surrounding this topic and some people think that it's a bad idea to put petroleum jelly on your skin, but this has been my eye cream of choice for 5 years and has never let me down - it works for me!

Sudocrem on spots
Currently £2.55 from Boots, click here to be directed to the site.
I used to have quite bad acne (fun times) which was so bad that I had to go on a course of Roaccutane. Alongside this medication, my doctor suggested using Sudocrem on my worser areas to see if that would improve it at all. I can tell you that it just worked wonders. I know that the Roaccutane obviously went a long way in helping to clear my skin up, but I have carried on using Sudocrem on my spots since then (6 years) and it calms down the inflamed areas so much - I've also since been told that my parents used to use this on their spots when they were younger, so it really is an age old secret!
Something in this magic cream really calms the skin, which is why it's often used for nappy rash - the only thing I don't enjoy is smelling like a baby's bottom all day! I usually slather this on my face at night (sometimes like a thick all-over-the-face mask) and wash it off in the morning - cleanse, tone then moisturise as normal. If I have a really angry, inflamed and open spot (sorry for the graphics) I'll dab on a light layer of Sucocrem in the morning, not apply any make up on top and wash it off at night. Because it's white, it does do a good job at covering the redness, so I feel I can get away with no concealer. The cream works great at drying out the skin, subsequently drying the spot out and it's just a miracle worker.

Nude eyeliner - Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in 005 Nude
Currently £3.99 from Boots, click here to be directed to the site.
Everyone knows that putting nude liner on your bottom waterline will make you look more awake as it cancels out the redness from lack of sleep, however I don't see many people using it to lift up their brows and creating a very natural highlight. When I want a nice defined brow, I sometimes don't want to risk ruining it by adding a matte white or shimmery white highlight, so this works perfectly. As it's an eyeliner, it has a very small pointy nib, so I can really highlight where I want to. It's also great for cleaning up any brow powder mistakes - great for when I'm shattered in the morning and can't even see what's going on in front of me!

Cotton buds
Currently 65p from Boots, click here to be directed to the site.
Cotton buds! The big dogs of the beauty world! Great for cleaning out your ears, correcting any mascara mishaps, drying out your eyes ready for eyeliner...whaaat I hear you ask?! I have very watery eyes in the morning, to the point where I have to spend a good few seconds wiping away my tears first thing (less dramatic than it sounds) so when it comes to applying eyeliner, it tends to run down my face before I've even picked up my next product. This frustrated me no end so I decided one day to give this a go; I run the dry cotton wool bud along my top and bottom waterline and apply eyeliner (waterproof or normal) straight after, et voila! It doesn't budge all day and seems to stick to my eyes really well. Winner!

Coconut oil in your hair
Currently £6.99 from Holland and Barrett, click here to be directed to the site.
I know, I keep banging on about it...I've made it fairly obvious that I love coconut oil and will forever use it regularly in my routine. I lather it on my hair to deeply condition and to tame any flyaways, it's used on my body to moisturise it and it takes off my make up like no other. I use it so often that I'm now not sure what I'll do without it. In 2012 I decided to switch up my skincare to a more natural one and have succeeded so far - the majority of my skincare products are LUSH, I make my own body scrubs (click here for that DIY post!) and I use coconut oil for a multitude of purposes. Don't get me wrong, I have a long way to go until I'm completely au naturale, but I'm getting there - this coconut oil makes me feel a hella natural, which is always a good thing!

That's it - 6 budget beauty secrets that I swear by. Kind to your pocket, and kind to your skin :) I hope you try out these tips and tricks and enjoy them. I loved writing this post because I believe that you can have great skin whilst not breaking the bank! Sharing is caring, and all that.

Do you have any tips you'd like to share?

Daniela

23 comments :

  1. Great tips! I used to hold my eyeliner in between my ghds for a few seconds to melt it a bit and make it easier to apply :)

    Danniella x | Famous In Japan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you. I used to do that too! Then I found this method and thought it was a little easier, no need to wait for my GHD's to heat up :) Daniela x

      Delete
  2. I've nominated you for the Liebster award on my blog, check it out :)

    pearlsandsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, aw thank you lovely :) I shall write that up ASAP! Daniela x

      Delete
  3. I love the hair dryer!
    Lola xox

    http://fortheimperfectlyperfect.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you! I've received lots of compliments on it haha. It's quite funky! Daniela x

      Delete
  4. I love coconut oil! For about 8 years I've been using it for cooking and on my skin. I really should start using it on my hair as well! This was such a fun post, Daniela, really loved reading it!

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, ah I know it's amazing isn't it. I'd even go so far as to say it's my #1 favourite beauty product. I haven't cooked with it before but I may have to give that a go! It's great to share tips isn't it. Glad you enjoyed reading this lovely :) Daniela x

      Delete
  5. I love using Coconut Oil in my hair! And I so want that hair dyer! Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it feels amazing when you wash it out doesn't it? And I'm glad you like my funky hairdryer haha. It catches the attention of many! Daniela x

      Delete
  6. Where is your hairdryer from? I love this post and will definitely be giving your tips a go! I'm currently holding a giveaway on my blog, it's not much but it'd be great if you could enter :)
    http://theperksofmeg.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/giveaway-thank-you-for-100-followers.html x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm actually not sure, sorry! My granddads a barber and got it from a professional hair salon shop somewhere a few years ago. Let me know if these tips work for you :) And I've entered your giveaway! Exciting! Daniela x

      Delete
  7. I swear by Sudocrem.
    Its the most amazing thing like ever :)

    Great little tips, I think imma try the coconut oil, my hair is so dry at the minute!

    Day Dreams & Daisy Chains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it is isn't it :) I absolutely love the stuff. Definitely try coconut oil, I swear by it. Daniela x

      Delete
  8. I love Sudocrem! Lovely post! RR xx

    eatingwearingliving.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, aw thank you :) I love it too! Its magic cream! Daniela x

      Delete
  9. Hey, I have nominated you for Liebster Award, make sure to check it out: http://hellomynamesanna.blogspot.com/2014/01/liebster-award-random-wednesday.html

    love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, ah thank you :) I shall be writing that up ASAP! Daniela x

      Delete
  10. Great post! I've never heard of Sudocrem before, but I'm so excited to get it when I move to the UK in the fall! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you! Ahh good luck on your move to the UK, I hope you love it :) Definitely get your hands on some Sudocrem, it is magic! Daniela x

      Delete
  11. Hello, thank you :) I have followed you on bloglovin! Daniela x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the exact same Vaseline and I use it for my eye area too! Best eye cream ever! Great post.

    dianabeautymix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, ah it's amazing isn't it, so underrated! I love it! Daniela x

      Delete

UA-48181795-1