Thursday 16 January 2014

• To buy or not to buy // ELF brushes // review •

I picked up the ELF brushes a few months ago when they were having a free delivery weekend. I didn't expect much, if I'm honest - I'll never forget when Wayne Goss said you should skimp on make up and spend on brushes. I had that in mind when I placed them in my basket but nonetheless, I clicked the checkout button.


Laura asked me to review the brushes as she'd seen that I'd used them in my brush cleaning post - so you can thank her if you find this post useful :)
ELF Professional Blending Eye Brush
Currently £1.50 from ELF, click here to be directed to the site.
This brush is domed and perfect for crease-work. It gets right into the socket of your eye and is small enough for keeping colour in the right place! Because of its domed shape, it distributes the shadow in a direct place and the brush works itself at blending. I wouldn't personally use this to apply eyeshadow as I feel it works best as a blender (as the name suggests) as it doesn't tend to pick up much colour, but I really recommend it.

ELF Stipple Brush
Currently £3.75 from ELF, click here to be directed to the site.
One of my favourite brushes of all time and certainly my favourite of my ELF collection is the Stipple brush. I use this everyday for applying my cream blusher and it blends the product so, so beautifully. It gives the most natural finish and best of all, it doesn't move your foundation around your face. I also really enjoy the synthetic brushes to apply cream products and a plus with this one is that you can see when it needs washing!

ELF Professional Eyeshadow Brush
Currently £1.50 from ELF, click here to be directed to the site.
If you want a light application of eyeshadow, this is the brush to go for - it doesn't pick up much pigment but it might suit you if you like the subtle look. Even though it's called the professional eyeshadow brush, it is fluffy enough to be used as a crease or blending brush but I prefer to use it as a shadow brush when I'm applying powder shadow on top of a cream shadow. Of all of the ELF brushes, this one wow's me the least, but I still use it as it's in my collection and works fine. I just think there are better brushes for the job!

ELF Kabuki Face Brush
Currently £6 from ELF, click here to be directed to the site.
This really is the softest brush I've ever come across. I love the way it feels on my face and makes applying powder a breeze - it only picks up a light dusting of the powder and is so big that it distributes it evenly on your face, ensuring you're not left with a cakey patch. Because of its size, it really doesn't take long to apply your powder as it covers most of your face in a few sweeps. I would, however, steer clear of using this for blush as I can imagine it would add the colour to a larger surface area than intended - not good.

That's just the lowdown on my opinions of the ELF brushes. Cheap, cheerful and not bad quality. I reach for the face brushes everyday and I do prefer them to the eye brushes. I will be venturing into Real Techniques eye brushes soon as I've heard great things about them - it's probably worth spending that little bit more to know that the quality is tip top, but these ELF brushes a nice little starter set to add to your kit.

*I just wanted to add that a friend of mine has just purchased a few of the ELF brushes and the bristles on some of the eye brushes feel completely different to mine - they feel sharp, which is rather strange. I guess it's hit and miss with some of the brushes?!

What do you think of the ELF brushes?

Daniela

18 comments :

  1. Been after the ELF Professional Blending Eye Brush for months but it's always sold out :(

    pearlsandsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, oh no that's so annoying! I hope they get some more in soon, it's a really great brush. Love your blog by the way :) Daniela x

      Delete
  2. I really wanted the stipple brush a while back but it was out of stock so I settled for MUA's one which seems pretty good. I have e.l.f.'s eye shadow brush and a couple for powders/foundation and they're all ok. I don't have any others to compare them to but I'd love to try some other brands out. The eye shadow blending brush sounds good! xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I agree with you, I think it's nice to have them in your collection but venturing into other brands is a good idea. The only one I'm really crazy about is the stipple brush. I'm glad the MUA one is working out for you though :) Daniela x

      Delete
  3. Hi. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award. Check out my blog for the rules and questions

    The Liebster Award xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you so much! That's so sweet of you :) I love the questions you've asked and I plan to answer them at some point this weekend! Thanks again, Daniela x

      Delete
  4. I'm still not sure about the Elf brushes although the Kabuki one looks good :)

    xx
    http://analeote.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, they're not the most amazing brushes in the world but for the price I say they do the job ok :) The Stipple brush definitely steals the show though! I love your blog by the way :) Daniela x

      Delete
  5. Hi Daniela,
    Thank you so so much for your comment on my blog! I adjusted the settings of my video, now it should work :)
    I just popped back in to let you know that I followed you back on Bloglovin! You are such a sweetheart! Thank you very much :)

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you're very welcome - I've watched the video and I loved it!
      Thank you for following me on bloglovin :) I've done the same! Daniela x

      Delete
  6. I've never had much luck with e.l.f. brushes. I usually just use them for really small, simply tasks, like applying eyeliner in the water line and highlighter to the brow bone.

    Obey Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, ah I guess it's quite hit and miss. My friend has just received her ELF brushes and the bristles feel completely different to mine - very strange, not sure how that works! Daniela x

      Delete
  7. I'm not too sure about elf brushes I've heard mixed reviews!

    Jess x
    www.momentsofbeautywars.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yeah the reviews are very mixed. For the price they're not bad, but I wouldn't rush out and buy them in a second (especially the eye brushes). Daniela x

      Delete
  8. Loads of mixed reviews on these brushes.. suppose you get what you pay for

    http://champagnelambinibudget.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I agree with you. Not bad quality for the price but not as amazing as others! Daniela x

      Delete
  9. really like these brushes! I'm one for drugstore/highstreet brushes, and I've heard a lot about these
    blogablebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, ah me too - I'm all about the drugstore! Love your blog by the way :) Daniela x

      Delete

UA-48181795-1